New customer or should I say returning old customer.

Thread: New customer or should I say returning old customer.

Thanks

Question New customer or should I say returning old customer.

Hi
    I am a returning customer after being away for more than 20 years and this is my first post to say hello.

I am here because I have a Sony DSC RX-100 Mk IV stills compact camera that takes 4K video footage as well. I can plug it into the front of my Denon Receiver (4k UHD certified) and display the small clips on my Panasonic TX-65DX902B UHD TV. This little compact camera's video quality is just as good as that produced on many of the top of the range consumer video cameras. The problem with just displaying directly from the camera through the Denon Receiver to the UHD 4K TV is that I am just displaying small clips of high quality unedited 4k footage shot in XAVC S 100 Mbps format. Short clips such as they are, are not a very professional way of showing video footage that really should be edited and joined together to make long or short 4k videos as is my pleasure and patience.

I am at the point where I am asking for advice (mostly from SCAN Experts but welcome others advice) on creating a machine to edit 4k High Efficiency Video Coding video (HEVC/H.265) clips and creating longer videos albeit not to a full professional standard but to photographic enthusiasts level. Also not daily but occasionally when I feel I want to do it. Note. I do not have any software to do this yet, so would welcome advice in this area.

So my PC requirements are:

Editing/compiling 4k HEVC/H.265 video shot using my Sony camera
    Regular surfing the net.
    Forum participation.
    Word processing.
    Email creation etc.

As previously stated I have 2 PCs that have been upgraded for various reasons. They are as follows:

Main PC

Monitor 24" BenQ 241W (now 8 years old)
    Antec 900 Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case
    Corsair HX 1000w ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 920 2.66 Ghz Nehalem 1366 (I am now running it at 3.8 Ghz) with Akasa Nero air cooler) (I was running it at 4.0GHz for Flight Simulator IL2 Forgotten Battles)
    G Skill 6GB NQ PC3-10666C9 1333MHz (3x2GB Triple Channel DDR3 (F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ)
    nVidia KA2 GTX 460 1024mb
    DVD RAM Rewriter
    Samsung EVO 850 SSD 500GB
    Seagate 2 TB HD
    Windows 7 pro X 64 (Full version)
    RealTek High Def Audio

Backup PC.
    Just keep it going for emergency use.

21" Monitor 2154 16x9 Samsung Syncmaster
    Antec 900 Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming case. Later version than the above.
    Corsair HX CMPSU- 620HX Modular Power Supply. Later than main PC above.
    Asus PQ5 Pro Motherboard P45 chipset
    Intel cor2 Duo e8400 (3.00GHz) Overclocked to 3.83GHZ
    4 x 2GB DDR 2 Ram
    BFG nVidia 8800 GT Graphics card
    DVD RAM Rewriter
    WD 500GB
    Intel 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 Pro x 64 (OEM)
    Realtek High Def Audio

I have been hunting round forums and asking for other peoples advice. It is surprising how varied it is. Some answers smack of people replying with very little experience to some who say put a Xeon into it (main pc) and add more ram and overclock it. Several have said get a 6 core X5650 and overclock and another says get a 6 core W3680 and overclock. Gigabyte lists a Xeon 6 core W3680 as compatible. The problem with doing this is with these Intel CPUs is that there is no hardware support for HEVC/H.265. There would only be software available.

My research has shown that the latest recently released top end Intel Kaby Lake processors do have HEVC/H.265 4k hardware support embedded and they have their own graphics CPU. The one that comes to mind is the i7-7567U with the Iris Plus 650 GPU. There is also the i5-7287U and i5-7267U with the Iris Plus 650.

Does it make sense to use one of these new processors in a new motherboard (naturally) and use some of my older components from my above machines?

Note. My BenQ Monitor is showing signs of wear and I am thinking of upgrading to a 32" 1440p monitor.

I would be most grateful if one of Scan's experts could lead me in the right direction. I do not want to pay silly money, but there again I would not want compromise for the sake of 30 or 40 quid.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to dialogue on the subject.

Peter
    Last edited by Peter R; 12-01-2017 at 13:26. Reason: Correct typing error and shorten the the post