AV Receivers - Do they allow a PC to be connected via HDMI?

Thread: AV Receivers - Do they allow a PC to be connected via HDMI?

Thanks

AV Receivers - Do they allow a PC to be connected via HDMI?

Hi all,

Having solved my 3DTV problem (or at least now understand the limitations of HDMI better) I'm now hoping a knowledgeable person will be able to confirm whether this AV 7.1 receiver will be able to take a sound input from my computer:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...no-avr2113-blk

If you go into specifiactions and then connections it states that a computer can't be plugged in. In fact nearly all the AV receivers on the site suggest that a PC can't be plugged into them.

I can find an Onkyo one that says it can take a PC input: http://www.richersounds.com/product/...7/onky-txnr717

However this model is considerably more expensive for various features / sound quality that with my current setup I'm either not particularly interested in or will be overkill when used with my existing speaker setup.

I'm sure that my last amp, an old Kenwood one took an optical input from my last PC without any issue so I would have expected that these newer ones should be able to too. I can understand that maybe there is some issue with them sending sound / pictures via HDMI due to the larger dynamic range 0-255 they can support (not that I know this is the problem).

I was just hoping that an optical feed from my soundcard / onboard Realtek chip would be ok.

Anybody know if this will work or not?

Thanks

Thanks
    I have a Samsung TV connected to my Marantz SR5002 AV amp via HDMI and the SR5002 to a computer also via HDMI. The SR5002 outputs 7.1 sound, the Samsung up to 1080p video.

Thanks
    OK - cool. Hopefully then either HDMI (ideally) or Optical should work then.

I can't figure out why using the amp to play the sound for my computer would cause an issue and then having it pass through the picture to my TV. I guess I'll just have to get one and hope for the best......or ask the sales guy!

I'll let you know how I get on

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHarvey12 View Post
    OK - cool. Hopefully then either HDMI (ideally) or Optical should work then.

I can't figure out why using the amp to play the sound for my computer would cause an issue and then having it pass through the picture to my TV. I guess I'll just have to get one and hope for the best......or ask the sales guy!

I'll let you know how I get on
    the sales guy will tell you that after the purchas Jennifer Lopez will pay you a hot visit if he has to, HDMI does pass audio from you PC. What you need to determine is whether or not your receiver does audio pass-through or not via HDMI. i think it is always a problem with these things i tried many options with my previous YAMAHA Home T speakers, eventually lost hope sold them and now im using little MS 6002 HT for pc, they are small but very good for the room where i have my pc. for the living room i have something better coming soon